As of now all reports must be submitted using the in-game report form, even if you want to submit screenshot or video evidence.
If you are streaming you can’t go to edit the video or else you would have to “pause” or quit streaming first, your audience will just get bored waiting for you to download archive video or find live recording, edit and upload that before continuing forward from the report screen.
If you aren’t streaming and aren’t recording video from each of your games you must first find the recording and start recording, possibly change settings if you haven’t touched the recorder in ages. That can even be too slow to get any evidence.
And not in all cases you have super fast Internet connection and powerful CPU+GPU to;
- record screen in acceptable quality
- edit the video (mostly cut out or speed up irrelevant/boring scenes)
- upload the video to the Internet within the acceptable speed (less than 1 hour)
Then once you do have some evidence of the incident you must write something to the report which can be harder than it looks like. There is a character limit to it! You can’t explain the full game or incident in some cases if you wish to link to screenshot(s) or video(s), and if you have more than two links it could prove to be impossible to fit all that into the in-game report form.
All this because the reports are easier to use if all of them are in the same place. There used to be a Google web form for this with lots of space to write, guide how to obtain Steam ID and so on but console users can’t use that as efficiently as PC users. The game developers, BHVR, have said they are working on improving the report form back in May 3, 2018 but so far since then I personally haven’t seen anything to change with the in-game report form, other than;
- not opening the profile page if you click the report button
- showing you if the report was sent successfully (working icon)
- not opening the report form twice in a row for one click
- fixing other errors sending reports